Thursday, December 6, 2007

No more estrogen!!!

At least for now!

I just took my last estrogen pill. It is hard to believe that it has already been 4 weeks since surgery. I'm beginning to get nervous and excited. Mostly nervous, though.

Dr. Dunn said once I discontinue the estrogen, it may take a few weeks for my body to gear up again and realize it needs to do its thing. Based on what he said, I should expect a period anywhere in the next 4-6 weeks. I think the quality of that period will tell me a lot about how successful the surgery was.

I will just be waiting...and waiting...and waiting.

When my period arrives, I am instructed to call the office immediately to schedule another SHG. It has to be done between cycle day 5 and 10. That will be the definitive answer to how my body has healed.

I feel so incredibly excited when I consider the possibility that in just 4-6 weeks I could be completely released to my regular ob/gyn and actively trying to conceive again. But it scares me at the same time, because I know how disappointed I am going to be if Dr. Dunn tells me that I haven't healed well enough to get pregnant.

I will still have recourse if that is the case - another laparoscopy/hysteroscopy. But I am soooo hoping that it won't be necessary. I have butterflies in my stomach just thinking about it.

I've decided to start a new chart tomorrow and pretend that it is the first day of a new cycle. We are under STRICT orders to be sure to be very careful and prevent pregnancy (on the off chance that I could actually conceive while on the estrogen), so I know for sure I won't get pregnant this first cycle. It's been a real pain, but Dr. Dunn feels strongly that he doesn't want us to get pregnant until he is certain that all is well due to a higher risk of possible miscarriage if I still have scar tissue.

I still want to chart so I can tell if and when I ovulate, because that will let me know when to expect a period and keep my obsessing to a minimum (maybe).

1 comment:

Ashley said...

YA MEL!!! I know the wait is going to be hard, but hang in there! You are still in my prayers and I wish you the best!